Kawaii Kon brings in thousands of anime fans to each convention, and we need help managing it! That's where the staff comes in. We need people to help out and keep Kawaii Kon running smoothly. If you are interested, take a look through these department descriptions and see what's in store.
Volunteer sign-up for Kawaii Kon is now closed! If you are at least 16 years old, you can sign-up to be a Kawaii Kon volunteer. Please make sure that you read the Volunteer Requirements and Guidelines before you apply.
If you have any questions, please email the Staffing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kawaii Kon Departments
Artist Alley - Artist Alley is one of the largest rooms at Kawaii-Kon. With approximately 90 vendor tables, art contests, art auctions, and more, there's always something happening in Artist Alley. Staff duties are numerous and include running the art contests, handling silent auction bids, managing/showing artwork at the live auction, and assisting vendors.
Co-Directors - Alton Fujii (Jashy
) & Justine Tenn (hissori
Assistant Directors - Justin Sugai (Foulujin
) Dealers' Room
- Monitor the Dealers' Room. Help out with the vendors if needed. Handles the merchandise of Kawaii Kon.
Director – Faisal Ahmed (Dark Battousai
Assistant Director - Mariah Winslett (MarsInsane
- Events staffers are in charge of running the many different events throughout the kon. We participate in 3 different areas of the kon; the main events room, the panel room, and the hallway cosplay contest table out in the kon course. We help with all panels and special performances by making sure they start/finish on time, and to interact with the guest to make sure they have everything that they need (interact with the guest, how cool is that!).
Co-Directors – Elise Hagood (ClearlyPixelated
) & Courtney Kubanek (ValkyireMissle
) Manga Library
- Responsibilities include setting up and breaking down of shelves and books, monitoring the books and patrons, and keeping the library organized.
Director - Kari (Kari
Assistant Director - Elaine Leung (FullMetalFlameNeko
- Registration department is the first impression of Kawaii Kon. Located in the main concourse of the third floor in the Hawaii Convention Center, the booths of Kawaii Kon's Registration Department is the first area that all guests have to visit. The department holds and sells the many badges from regular attendee passes to VIP passes that allow "kon-goers" and special guest to enjoy the different exciting events and aspects the convention has to offer. In addition, Registration is the official dealer for all Kawaii Kon merchandise which includes shirts and limited edition pins!
Co-Directors - Lauren Agno (choco
) & Phil Valdez (nemurijay
Assistant Directors - Andi Choe & Kele Miranda Security
– Security is responsible for the safety and well-being of all Kon-goers, badge and weapons inspections, as well as provide a visible presence throughout the convention.
Director - Robert Ardiente (amx11zaku3
Assistant Director - Alan Le (zetsuei
), Daigoro Shigara (DarkDaigoro
), Kelly Campbell (Sayonara
- Help out with other departments when needed, make sure everything is running smoothly. Run the information booth which is located near the Registration booth. Staffing/Operations also run the information booth to help the Kon-going public with any questions they may have.
Director - Brandon Hoo (Toki
Assistant Director - Phil Valdez (nemurijay
) & Geoffrey Honbo (Shininekogami
) Tabletop Gaming
- The tabletop gaming room staff help out with the tournaments that are run by the vendors.
Director - Darren Ide
Assistant Director - Derek Hirano (ro1alpha
- Technical staffers are basically the Audio/visual arm of the convention. They work hard during setup on Thursday and teardown on Sunday, and they work closely with Events dept to operate gear during panels and what not. Tech, like Security, operates the entire time the convention is open.
Director - TJ Hamilton (MadMallard
Assistant Director – Arnold Yago (DarkSavior
) Video Gaming
- Video Gaming staffers monitor the video gaming room. Help maintain all the video games in the room, help run the tournaments, and work closely with gamers to bring an awesome gaming experience!
Director - Jeremy Marshall (Mospp
Assistant Director -Joe Pagaduan (kyon
) & Mike Suzuki Video Room
- Video Room staffers prepare the equipment and media for the video rooms, working along side the tech dept and sometimes events for super special things that require more than our small crew. If you're one of the few, the silent, and like to sit in a dark room with a DVD player watching anime, you're for us!
Acting Director - Roy Bann (buma
Assistant Director - Alexis Tsutsumi (chocoberry
Video Art Showcase Theatre (VAST)
- Responsibilities under the VAST department's umbrella include creation and presentation of video art related panels to the KK-going population; assemble and present various video art events during the Kon such as the 'all-request' hour where we try and incorporate as many viewer requests as we can on the spot, and the 'totally awesome vidyas' hour, where we put together a selection of the very best fan-made videos we can find. We also have several other events throughout the year related to Kawaii Kon that may require video art work (such as the Ohana Festival, where we usually have a video presentation for Kawaii Kon); promote, compile, assemble and present the Video Art Showcase Theater Contest, where video artist from around the world compete for the title of 'best video in showcase'; and a side-related event is the Butishake - KK's very own video dance, where VAST can help compile all the various source video and audio for the dance.
Director - Roy Bann (buma