Kawaii Kon Volunteer Requirements and Guidelines
Thanks for taking interest in helping out Kawaii Kon. This document contains general requirements and guidelines for becoming a volunteer staff member.
1. You must be at least 16 years of age by the time of the convention. Anyone 17 years and under must have a Parental Consent Form signed and on file by the Thursday before the convention. If you are under 18, you need to be able to verify your age with a valid form of identification.
2. You must attend 2 staff meetings (not including the mandatory at-convention staff meetings).
3. You are required to attend the pre-convention staff meeting held the day before the convention. No exceptions.
4. You are responsible for keeping in touch with the Director of the department you are assigned to.
5. You must be able to work at least 15 hours over the course of the convention.
Reporting & Hours
1. Staffers must stay in touch with their Department in whatever manner works best for both parties. (email, forums, facebook)
2. Staff will receive a detailed description of job responsibilities & duties prior to the convention.
3. Staffers are responsible for clocking-in and out at the information booth near registration unless directed otherwise by their own Director in their department.
4. Failure to clock-in will affect a staffer’s benefits and status.
5. Staffers are encouraged to take periodic breaks during the convention – when they are
not scheduled – to eat, sleep, bathe, and enjoy the Kon
Behavior & Badges
1. Staffers must conduct themselves in a polite professional manner when being viewed as a representative of Kawaii Kon prior to, during, or after the convention. This includes, but is not limited to, working booths at the convention, forum posts, chat room, and all meetings. Staff must accept the responsibility that even if they are not acting in an official capacity for Kawaii Kon, they may be perceived as a representative.
2. Alcohol and illegal substances are not permitted in the convention rooms or on the property. Any staff member found with illegal substances will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
3. Staff Badges must be worn and visible above the waist at all times when working.
4. Staffers are responsible for their badges at all times. Staffers who lose their badge during the convention must immediately contact Security and report to the Information booth to have a replacement badge issued ($27 replacement fee). Staffers who are found misusing their staff badge, such as selling their badge or allowing another person to use it, will result in disciplinary actions and/or severe penalty for all those involved.
5. Staffers who abuse the authority of their badge will be reprimanded as stated in the Disciplinary code outlined.
Note: If you are an out-of-state volunteer, you are exempt from requirement #2. All other requirements and guidelines still apply. Please remember that you are responsible for your own accommodations and transportation during your stay in Hawaii.
As stated above, all volunteers must attend two (2) meetings that are held throughout the year leading up to the convention. The dates and times of these meetings will be announced beforehand so that you can plan accordingly. Also, all staff members are required to attend the pre-convention staff meeting held the Thursday before the convention. If you are unable to attend a meeting, please notify the Staffing Director as soon as possible (staffing@kawaii- kon.org). You must be able to provide a legitimate reason for your absence.
Because one main form of contact with you is through the Kawaii Kon message boards, a forum username is REQUIRED. To sign up, visit the forums and click on the Register link to obtain a forum ID.
Keep in Contact
Please remember that it is your responsibility to keep in contact with the Staffing Director and the Director of the department you are assigned to. Please contact the appropriate personnel if there are any changes in your status or if you have any questions or concerns (i.e., unable to attend a meeting, changing contact information, etc.). Also, check your e-mail inbox and the Kawaii Kon forums frequently – information and updates will be sent and posted regularly.
Kawaii Kon does not tolerate disrespect to anyone at all. Please treat everyone with respect and courtesy. It takes respect to get respect.
If you are 17 years and under, your parental guardian must complete a Parental Consent Form. These forms are available at staff meetings, or can be downloaded here. Please print out the form and submit it to the Staffing Director when completed.
While there is no formal dress code, we do ask that you refrain from wearing attire that may be considered offensive or that could detract from your work performance. If you plan on cosplaying while working, please contact your department director to make sure it’s okay. Some departments may enforce their own dress code – please contact your department director for additional information. When off duty, staffers are free to dress according to the dress code/weapons policy guidelines for all attendees.
We expect all staff to be available when assigned and ready to get to work. If you think you are going to be late, notify your department director as soon as possible. Try to arrive early enough to prepare for your shift.
Be Helpful and Flexible
Always find out how you can be of additional help. There is always something to do, or some department that needs assistance. If you need something to do, and your department is covered, ask the Staffing Director about what you can do to help.
As part of security measures being taken at the convention, please make sure to check attendee badges at all times. Badges should be visible at all times. If you find someone without a badge, please kindly direct them to the Registration desk.
Incentives and Benefits
How it works
Full-time volunteers are able to earn benefits if they meet and maintain their 15 hour requirement over the course of each convention. Once the requirement has been filled, full-time volunteers are able to receive volunteer benefits and incentives for each following year. Failure to meet required hours will result in loss of certain benefits and/or incentives. Examples of volunteer incentives include things such as skipping lines for the Dealers Room and exclusive access to certain events. Note: Benefits & Incentives are subject to change each year.
Kawaii Kon Staff Badge: 15 hour minimum requirement
In exchange for working at least the minimum required amount of hours, Kawaii Kon provides all volunteers with a special three-day badge for the convention. Those who fail to work the minimum required amount of hours or fail to show without notifying a department director, will be removed from volunteering and will be suspended (probationary removal) from volunteering for Kawaii Kon for one convention year.
Dead Dog After-Party and Christmas Party
Dead Dog is the party that happens once take down is over and items are put back at the storage unit. Various food and drinks are provided, as well as the opportunity to relax with fellow volunteers. We take this time to recognize outstanding individuals, and hand out rewards.
Christmas Party is an exclusive party in appreciation of the volunteers who are dedicating their time to Kawaii Kon. Information and details regarding this party will be e-mailed in addition to being posted on the forums.
PRIVACY AND NON-DISCLOSURE:
1. Any and all information shared in emails, chats, staff meetings, or staff forums should be considered private and confidential and must not be shared with anyone who is not a staff member until the convention makes a public announcement or statement. This includes, but is not limited to, guest announcements, event announcements, and details of the convention planning process.
2. Kawaii Kon must protect the personal information of its attendees and staff. Personal information will not be shared with third parties at any time.
Disciplinary Action A. Staff members who do not follow the rules will be subject to discipline. Staffers are not above or beyond the rules and policies of the convention. If a staff member breaks the rules or proves to be incapable, unwilling, or unqualified to perform their required duties, the following series of disciplinary actions may be enacted:
First offense: Verbal warning from their department director. Second offense: Written warning from their department director Third offense: Removal from staff with loss of all staff benefits.
Kawaii Kon Volunteer Requirements and Guidelines
B. Depending on the severity of the offense, Kawaii Kon administrators may choose to enact a more severe penalty. Kawaii Kon administration may elect to skip the disciplinary steps above if they feel it is necessary for convention operation. Kawaii Kon reserves the right to discontinue a staffer's service at any time and for any reason, with or without cause and advance notice.
C. Reasons for disciplinary actions include, but are but not limited to the following:
1. Failure to meet requirement(s) as stated in the staff qualifications (i.e. hours requirement)
2. Failure to work or show up for scheduled shift(s) without notifying the Department Director or Assistant Director
3. Failure to abide by the Staff regulations and/or policies.
4. Refusal to follow Kawaii Kon general policies or instructions
5. Horseplay with, misuse/damage of, or stealing convention equipment/material (i.e. carts, radios, etc.)
6. Incompatibility with fellow staff or directors
7. Subtle or deliberate undermining of another volunteer/staffer or director (by word or action)
8. Failure to work scheduled shift without notifying area director(s)
9. Verbal and/or sexual harassment of an attendee, guest, fellow staff member, or director
10. Physical altercation with an attendee, guest, staff member, or director
11. Unwilling, unable, or physically unfit to perform assigned work or tasks efficiently and/or correctly
12. Involvement in a controversy or altercation with the Hawaii Convention Center, Ala Moana Hotel, or Kawaii Kon
13. Unacceptable or illegal behavior such as selling staff badges, misconduct while on duty, etc.
How to Become a Volunteer Staff Member
Once you have read the Staff Requirements and Guidelines document, and know that you are able to fulfill all requirements as described here, please fill out a Staff Application. You can find a Staff Application online or download a copy to be handed in at any staff meeting. Check your email and the Kawaii Kon forums for the latest information on meetings and events.
For any questions or concerns, please e-mail the Staffing Director at email@example.com